Thursday, March 29, 2012

Review 3

Since the last time that I have BLOGed we have created an interactive PowerPoint, and looked at emerging classroom technologies.  My favorite Module of the two was learning another application for PowerPoint.  Each spring I teach a lesson with the eighth grade science teacher.  In this lesson students utilize PowerPoint to show a scientific change in PowerPoint. The students use animations to show movement of the change over multiple slides.  Some students create a PowerPoint about the different types of moons, some show a predator/prey relationship, and some create a 2 dimensional roller coaster showing potential and kinetic energy.  This project is well received by the students and allows them to take the knowledge that they gained in the science classroom and apply it into another setting.
            When I was looking at the emerging technologies I was impressed by how many of them focus on maximizing student creativity.  I feel that school sometimes drains student creativity by constantly focusing on hard data information gathered through constant testing. 

1 comment:

  1. I agree that PowerPoint was one of my favorite of the last few modules. I think it's great that you get to use the technology that we are learning in our 505 class in an actual 8th grade class so soon. It's like you get to see the technology working as you are discovering it yourself. I also agree that the emergent technologies we were learning about focus on maximizing the student creativity inside and outside the classroom. I believe that one aspect of being a good teacher is not only teaching students the material, but doing it in a way that interests them!
    I really like the layout of your blog! Nice!

    ReplyDelete